FC Porto vs Liverpool – Betting Tips & Predictions – 17/04

Last updated & checked: 10/08/2021


Both these teams have walked similar paths as of late. Each are gunning it out in their domestic leagues for the top spot against a fierce competitor: Benfica for FC Porto and Manchester City for Liverpool. While they are away from that here, FC Porto will still be feeling the pressure, considering the first leg gave Liverpool a 2-0 advantage. Not only that but the English side have been on fire as of late. They have not lost a single game since a duo of disappointments at the turn of the New Year.

FC Porto though have impressed outside of that loss – although admittedly, not with the recent consistency of Liverpool. There’s no point in understating it, FC Porto have an incredibly steep challenge ahead of them.

FC Porto vs Liverpool Prediction: FC Porto 0-1 Liverpool

While FC Porto are a brilliant team, we simply think this will be too much for them to handle. Liverpool have been absolutely fantastic over these last couple of months, with even their losses at the start of January now feeling a long time ago. FC Porto haven’t been able to match that form – very few teams can – and now with the added pressure of being two points down, that could push them to make mistakes. And Liverpool are very, very good at capitalising on mistakes. We expect Liverpool to pick their moments, take advantage of the pressure and come away with a 1-0 win here.

Our recommended tip: Liverpool win

The team at the top of the Premier League remain the clear favourites in this second-leg Champions League clash. And considering their decisive 2-0 win in their last meeting, that shouldn’t come as a surprise. Liverpool have a 46% win probability, giving them the lead on FC Porto, who have a 26% win probability. In fact, at 28%, a drawn result is slightly more probable than a home win. Therefore, we recommend that you back the English side to victory here for your best chance of winning your wager. At Ladbrokes, you’ll find low-risk 11/10 Liverpool match odds.

Previous matches

Although we think that Liverpool will take the victory here, a lot of people have suggested that a draw in this leg is also a fairly plausible outcome. History certainly seems to agree that a Liverpool win or a draw is how this is likely to go. In their 2007 Champions League clash, they drew 1-1 in the first leg. Then Liverpool won the second 4-1. In 2018, Liverpool bested Porto 5-0 and then drew 0-0 in the second leg. These matches always seem to go one of two ways and thus far, it’s never been the preferred way of the home team.

Top 3 Champions League Bookies

Players to watch: Moussa Marega & Jordan Henderson

FC Porto: Moussa Marega

Although Moussa Marega didn’t make the difference Porto would have wanted in the first leg, he was still arguably their most impressive player. He by far had the best chances at Anfield, even if his three shots on target didn’t get the job done. This shouldn’t be too much of a surprise though when you consider that he has been their MVP this Champions League tournament, scoring six goals thus far.

Liverpool: Jordan Henderson

Jordan Henderson’s transformation since moving forward in position has been an eye-opening one. He has proven himself instrumental in providing Liverpool with an added burst of offensive creativity that they often lacked not too long ago. Seeing Henderson get better and better in this role is one of the joys of watching Liverpool today. And we don’t see it stopping anytime soon.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit, amet consectetur adipisicing elit. Explicabo dignissimos quam voluptatem quia laboriosam fugiat maxime obcaecati velit laudantium!