FC Porto vs Roma – Betting Tips & Predictions – 06/03

Last updated & checked: 10/08/2021


We’re expecting an absolute nail biter of a contest here. Roma shocked many by besting FC Porto in their first leg matchup. That means the home team have a goal deficit to make up if they want to progress through to the next round of the Champions League.

However, FC Porto’s recent form has been terrific. They stand second in the Primeira Liga, mere points away from top dog Benfica. Although a recent loss to that side – also by a single point – has both dampened the side’s hopes and quite possibly fired them up for this match. Roma, on the other hand, have been no slouches either, tearing through Bologna and Frosinone, but falling hard at the hands of Lazio.

Will Roma have enough to get the upset win yet again, or will FC Porto mount a comeback? We’ll find out soon enough.

FC Porto vs Roma Prediction: FC Porto 2-1 Roma

Roma may have the advantage and, considering they were semi-finalists in last year’s Champions League, great historical clout in the tournament. However, FC Porto have been on absolute fire lately. Sure, they’ve had disappointments – including in their last outing – but they have remained, for the most part, brilliant on the pitch. If you look a little deeper into their games over the last few months, it becomes clear that they are a force to be reckoned with. Although we are certain Roma will be more than willing to put up a fight, we think FC Porto will return the favour from the first with a 2-1 victory.

Our recommended tip: FC Porto win

While Roma may be in a respectable fifth place in the Serie A standings, FC Porto are performing better in their league – taking second place in the Primeira Liga table. Therefore, it’s no surprise that they hold the advantage here, coming into this contest with a 46% win probability to Roma’s 26%. In fact, a draw is a more likely outcome according to the stats, at 28%. With this in mind, we recommend that you back the favourites for the best chance of winning your wager. Ladbrokes are offering good low-risk 1/1 odds on a home win.

Previous matches

We’ve already covered their last meeting – a 2-1 victory in favour of Roma – and if there’s one thing we can learn from that match, it’s just how evenly-matched these two truly are. That game really did feel like it could go either way, meaning this one is likely to be a real test of nerves.

They’ve met twice before back in 2016, and their first leg also went down to the wire with a 1-1 result. That’s something plenty of people have predicted for this game. However, Porto went on to dominate in the second leg, walking away with a 3-0 victory. If repeated, that performance and result will see Porto through, goal deficit or not.

Top 3 Champions League Bookies

Players to watch: Moussa Marega & Nicolò Zaniolo

FC Porto: Moussa Marega

Moussa Marega returned from a thigh injury earlier than most anticipated to wage battle against Benfica. Failing to be the difference maker there, we’re absolutely certain that he will be itching to ensure this Champions League doesn’t go by without him adding to his current five goals in the tournament. We know that FC Porto will be coming into this game all guns blazing, so we think his chances in that kind of environment are pretty good.

Roma: Nicolò Zaniolo

We said that plenty were surprised when Roma took the victory in the first leg against FC Porto. However, that wasn’t quite as surprising as who hit the back of the net. It was none other than teenager Nicolò Zaniolo, shocking the seasoned FC Porto team, who were unbeaten in the group stages. They may not have the element of surprise in this one, but imagine if Zaniolo managed to topple Porto once more.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit, amet consectetur adipisicing elit. Explicabo dignissimos quam voluptatem quia laboriosam fugiat maxime obcaecati velit laudantium!