How To Bet On Golf
Last updated & tested: 2020-01-01
If you follow golf as a fan, you have all the more chance to get one over on the bookies – and that in itself makes it a lot more fun.
The Simple Golf Betting Guide
Making money betting on a golf tournament may seem like a fool’s errand – with that wide a field, and so many players around capable of winning the tournament, how do you confidently predict a winner?
The truth of the matter is that if you focus your bets on potential tournament winners, you are always likely to lose more than you win – large fields, such as 150+ entrants for the British Open, mean that there are more potential winners than with most sports, such as horse racing. The need for consistency through 72 holes means that backing an individual player to win rarely gives you value. This makes deciding how to bet on golf tournaments a bit more challenging.
At least, it won’t give you value if that’s the only bet you make over the weekend of a golf tournament. You might win – any realistic golf betting guide will tell you that out of that large field only maybe 20% of the players have a realistic chance – but the real value lies in applying the latest golf betting tips on other aspects of the tournament.
As well as an overall winner, you can look to bet on other outcomes, such as the player from among a 3-ball (the three players who go around the course together during a round) who will card the lowest score; or the best-performing player from a pre-selected list. Consulting free golf betting tips will give you a head start in picking these bets.
Using The Latest Golf Betting Tips: Overall Winner Bets
It is hard to select the overall winner from among a large field of players, as we’ve already said: so why even talk about it? That’s a reasonable question, with a perfectly reasonable answer.
Simply put, if you look at how to bet on golf compared to any other sport, the odds for an overall winner in another sport will be short; this is because a few days before the winner becomes known, there will be at most three or four potential winners, sometimes just two. There’s a very real chance that one of these possible winners will be odds-on to win (decimal odds of less than 2.00, or fractional odds of 4/5, for example). To make any real money on this, you need to be placing a large bet.
In golf, however, before the tournament even the favourite might be at odds as long as 9.00 (or 8/1). Reflecting the fact that they need to remain consistent through 72 holes to win, their odds are always going to be long. Decent free golf betting tips will advise you not to risk much at odds like that. Even the best players in the world don’t tend to win tournament after tournament without a challenge.
So on the one hand, it’s hard to predict the winner four days before the result is known, but on the other hand a £10 on the overall winner is still going to win you a very nice return if it comes off. Any responsible golf betting guide would advise against much bigger bets, though.
Where The Value Lies In Golf Betting
So if picking the potential winner is in the lap of the gods, where is the value for a bet golf fan looking to leverage their knowledge to make a bit of cash? Simple, it’s in the other bets around an event, which can be a lot more realistic to predict, and which most of the latest golf betting tips focus on.
For example, every two years there will be a Ryder Cup; here, there are only three possible outcomes. Either the USA will win, Europe will win, or the competition will be tied and the present holder will retain the Cup.
The odds will be shorter, reflecting the smaller number of outcomes. However, if you know golf, then there is a much greater chance of being able to turn that knowledge into cash. Which team will be able to select twelve players with the form, skill and temperament to come out on top in a febrile, sudden-death, matchplay scenario, where one poor shot can see your golf story guide switch to a horror story?
Alternatively, you might look at one of several other markets. Often for example, before a major event there will be markets for the top-performing American; you might wish to bet on whether a certain player who has been struggling for form will make the cut; or you could set up a match bet on whether a certain player will perform better than another.
How To Bet On Golf Online: Leveraging Knowledge
Sometimes to win money in golf betting, just having a little more knowledge than most people will be enough to eke an advantage out. Knowing a few of the following facts could pay off for you.
- In the UK, American golf tournaments are often shown on slight delay. As bets received have an influence on odds-setting, following the tournament on a medium other than TV (such as an online stream) can mean you have an advantage over other users when betting with UK sites.
- Being able to analyse available statistics is also useful. If the tournament is played on a European-style links course, knowing the players with good stats for driving accuracy will benefit you as much as any golf betting guide.
- It’s a good idea to follow weather forecasts a few days in advance. If there are set to be four days of unbroken sun and very little wind, a player with a good tee-to-green stat will be in a better position to win, especially on American courses with straight fairways.
When betting on majors, check out the results for the tournaments in previous weeks in the same geographic area. For example, the Irish Open takes place a couple of weeks before the British, and in the same conditions.
- A player who outperforms their odds in Ireland may well offer the perfect golf story game guide at the British Open.
Speaking of the British Open, bear in mind that of all the majors, it has by far on average the oldest winners. So if you are looking to place an in-play final day bet on the overall winner, backing experience can pay off there much more than it would at, say, the US Open.
Best bookmakers for golf betting
Max. Wert Bonus Type
Get the Bonus 1 99 / 100 100 Fantastic £50 welcome bonusT&Cs apply, 18+ Bethard bonus 2 98 / 100 25 Claim your £25 bonus with bonus code OPENODDST&Cs apply, 18+ Novibet bonus 3 97 / 100 30 79.5T&Cs apply, 18+ STSbet bonus 4 96 / 100 30 £30 FreebetT&Cs apply, 18+ Betway bonus 5 94 / 100 30 Matched bet of up to £30T&Cs apply, 18+ Coral bonus 18+. UK+IRE only. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first bet £10 a odds 1/2 or more. Tote and Pool excluded. Must be placed within 14 days of account reg. £30 credited as 3 x £10 free bets. Not valid with CashOut. Free bet valid for 7 days. Free bet stake not returned. 18+ T&Cs Apply." 6 92 / 100 30 Bet £10 get £30 free!T&Cs apply, 18+ William-Hill bonus 7 91 / 100 200 100% matched bonusT&Cs apply, 18+ TonyBet bonus 8 90 / 100 30 £30 Money BackT&Cs apply, 18+ Unibet bonus 9 89 / 100 100 £100 Matched DepositT&Cs apply, 18+ Mr-Green bonus 10 88 / 100 50 up to €50 bonusT&Cs apply, 18+ Bwin bonus 11 88 / 100 £100 Up to 100% winnings boostT&Cs apply, 18+ 32Red bonus 12 87 / 100 100 £100 in bet creditsT&Cs apply, 18+ Bet365 bonus New Customers only. Up to £100 in Bet Credits. Sign up, deposit £5 or more to your account and bet365 will match your qualifying deposit in Bet Credits when you place qualifying bets to the same value and they are settled. Min odds/bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. T&Cs, time limits & exclusions apply. 13 86 / 100 30 Bet £10 Get £30T&Cs apply, 18+ 888 bonus 14 85 / 100 150 deposit bonus up to €150T&Cs apply, 18+ Sportingbet bonus 15 84 / 100 50 50% bonus up to £50T&Cs apply, 18+ Mansion-Bet bonus 16 83 / 100 100 100% up to £100T&Cs apply, 18+ 10Bet bonus 17 82 / 100 10 £10T&Cs apply, 18+ Grosvenor bonus 18 80 / 100 50 50£ FreebetT&Cs apply, 18+ Ladbrokes bonus 19 80 / 100 £50 100% up to £50T&Cs apply, 18+ Energybet bonus 20 80 / 100 50 50% on first depositsT&Cs apply, 18+ NetBet bonus
Is Golf Betting Easier Than Other Sports Betting?
There are advantages and disadvantages to golf betting compared with other sports. The following list of pros and cons is not exhaustive, but will give you an idea as to whether golf tournament betting is for you.
- Given the number of players in the field, and the range of different statistics in golf, there are more markets than in most other sports.
- Golf tournaments are very contained, time-wise. While a football team can lose form or players the course of, say, the World Cup, a golfer who’s hitting well on Thursday should be in good shape on Sunday.
- You have more reference points in golf than with pretty much any other sport. It takes about twenty minutes for a three-ball to play a hole. So if you’re wondering whether to cash out a bet early, the leaderboard will give you guidance three times an hour.
- Because golf is an individual sport, a player in form is less of a risky bet than you often find in other sports. One underperforming basketball player, for example, is 20% of his team and can cause an otherwise decent bet to go disastrously.
- A single bad hole can turn a bet that looked good for three and a half days into a total waste of money. If your player hits a triple-bogey at the 17th on a Sunday, there’s almost no time to recover it.
- With most other sports, from betting to getting a result it will be at most a few hours. As you may be waiting four days to collect on a bet, golf can be stressful to follow. Compared to horse racing, which is over in minutes, that’s a disadvantage. A smart golf betting guide will advise you to be cautious about how much you are risking in this situation.
- If you bet on a player to win and they shoot an 84 on the first day, your bet is dead long before the end of the tournament.
Given these facts, and others listed above, betting on golf is probably more advantageous than putting the same money on a football match where the outcome can be influenced at any time by any one of 22 players, or on tennis where there is always an obvious favourite and the odds are rarely upset. The long odds-on favourites, in particular, can make betting quite lucrative if you have a bit of luck.
If you are looking to make some real money, your best bet to leverage free golf betting tips will usually be to mix up your bets and place more, smaller individual bets. By all means bet on an overall winner, but you should never see that as a bet that has to come off – because it usually won’t. Instead, look for value on the other, more immediate markets such as who will “win” a certain hole, whether a certain player will finish their round under par, and so on.